Students who possess an undergraduate degree and would like to enroll in classes for personal enrichment or to satisfy prerequisite graduate course requirements for future admission may enroll as a non-degree student through the School of Graduate Studies. The Senior Associate Dean is the advisor for all non-degree students and approves all registrations, drop/adds and withdrawals.
All non-degree applicants must submit a final official transcript with the baccalaureate degree posted. Send transcripts to the School of Graduate Studies (address on left side of this webpage). Case graduates and employees do not need to submit degree verification.
For courses that have Permission Required listed in the course catalog or the searchable schedule of classes, permission must be completed online through the instructor or department. Permissions must be done before registering on-line. All permissions are to be requested through the Student Information System.
Visit the Graduate Studies calendar for dates and deadlines.
Tuition information is available through the Controller's Office.
Please refer to the Registrar's Office website for deadlines and course scheduling.
A student who wishes to register as a non-degree student should submit the online non-degree application a non-refundable $50 application fee and an official transcript with the bachelor's degree posted.
- Students may enroll in undergraduate and graduate level courses. Continuation in non-degree status is at the discretion of the Dean of Graduate Studies.
- Applicants who are interested in transferring course work into graduate degree programs are encouraged to seek early advice from the departments to which they intend to apply to insure that courses taken as non-degree students will satisfy departmental requirements.
- Non-degree students cannot assume that they will be admitted to any graduate degree program, or that all course work taken will transfer into the program.
- Only 400 level and higher course work will be considered for graduate transfer. The term of the earliest approved, transferred course will establish the date of entrance into the degree program.
- Courses transferred from non-degree status must have been taken within five years of the first term of matriculation as a degree seeking student and passed with a grade of B or better.
- Students considering transfer into a degree program will need to meet a minimum matriculation requirement of two semesters and six semester hours of course work.
- Non-degree students are not permitted to enroll in more than 21 hours of coursework in one program. In order to continue taking courses in that program, the student must be accepted into the graduate degree program.
Steps for Registration
First-time Non-degree Registrants
- Complete the online Non-degree Application . The deadline to apply for Summer Non-degree is May 27, 2013. The deadline to apply for Fall Non-degree is August 19, 2013.
Turn in the following to Graduate Studies in Tomlinson Hall, Room 203:
- Official Transcripts (Case graduates and employees do not need to submit degree verification)
- Graduate Studies will process your application. You will receive an email with further instructions on how to activate your CWRU network ID (if applicable) and to register using the Student Information System (SIS): www.case.edu/sis. You will also receive an email telling you to look at your online application for the admission decision.
- Email a request to your non-degree advisor (Charles Rozek, Dean of Graduate Studies: email@example.com) to release the advising hold on your registration.
- Once the hold has been released, register through the Student Information System (SIS): www.case.edu/sis.
REGISTER for your selected courses in SIS (go to Enrolling in Classes for detailed instructions).
- Overrides and Permissions: www.case.edu/registrar/permissions.html.
- Prerequisites: It is the student's responsibility to meet any prerequisites for courses.
- From the Student Center, you can view your academic info, as well as view the Searchable Schedule of Classes to access semester schedules. The Searchable Schedule can also be viewed from the webpage: www.case.edu/registrar/soc.html.
If you are a Case employee, the $50 application fee is waived. Begin the online application. Before submitting the application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to say you are a Case employee. We will waive the application fee and then ask you to submit the application.
Certification for Tuition Waiver forms are available on the 2nd floor of Crawford Hall or the following site: www.case.edu/finadmin/humres/benefits/twinfo.html. Submit the Certification for Tuition Waiver and a copy of your class schedule to Human Resources, Crawford Hall #224. Please pay particular attention to the Drop/Add deadline to avoid potential financial penalties. Please note that as a Case employee, it is your responsibility to inquire about your eligibility status for the Tuition Waiver. If financial penalties are incurred due to ineligibility of the waiver, it is the responsibility of the Case employee to pay such penalties.